Sunday, October 02, 2005

Conveniently sized

The most medically exciting thing I did this week was remove a blue plastic bead from the left nostril of the 2 year-old daughter of our pharmacist. The nanny had excitedly called the office to tell of the emergency, and when her mother arrived home the little princess anounced that she'd thought about testing a larger bead but that would have caused too many problems. After wrapping her in a sheet and having 2 people hold her down, I levered it out in a very satifying now-you-don't-see-it-now-you-do manner, which somehow felt like it should have had an associated popping sound.

Seems that this is a childhood right of passage. My collague tried it with a nut from a tree. A person who happens to share much of my genetic material, when scolded by a friend's mother for picking his nose, annouced indignantly, "I'm not, I'm trying to get the sultana out!" And I've heard a story of the angelic-looking tot who over a period of several weeks got more and more smelly. When no amount of scrubbing had any effect, her desperate parents took her to the doctor - who removed a piece of rotting meat from her nose.

Said local 2 year-old has now been nick-named "Pearl". And when I saw her today, hiding in her house, she refused to come out because she's "not finished being angry yet". Ah, saving the world ain't easy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a new medial program on channel 10 called "House" any way last week he removed three very small figurines from a babies right nostril.

The first was a police man, the second was a fire engine and the third was a normal person.

Even though it was fictional apparently the policeman and fire engine were sent up to rescue the person.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the old "dissapear up the nostril" trick.

From all accounts of my early childhood, my nostrils could tell a thousand stories.

melt said...

each?